The year 2016 turned out to be a memorable year for Kollywood, where close to 195 Tamil films released. This year proved to be a good one for Tamil industry, with both high-cost and low-budget movies received well by the audience. Here are the list of blockbuster Tamil movies (released in 2016) which are definitely worth of your time. These are a cherry list of movies
Visaranai is one of the best movie which released during the year 2016. The film was released in India on 5 February 2016 and received highly positive reviews from both critics and audience alike. Vetrimaaran’s ruthless take on the police system and how they dealt with one of the most infamous cases in Tamil Nadu’s history. The film brought to light the true shades of cops and how they change with respect to their comfortability and conditions.
- The film premiered in the Orrizonti (Horizons) section of the 72nd Venice Film Festival, where it won the Amnesty International Italia Award.
- At the 63rd National Film Awards, the film won three honors: Best Feature Film in Tamil, Best Supporting Actor for Samuthirakani and Best Editing for Kishore Te.
- It was selected as India’s official entry for the Best Foreign Language Film at the 89th Academy Awards,but it was not nominated.
Visaranai is like a surreptitious trip behind-the-stage; the stage designed (to fool the general public) by the complex collaboration of the powers that be (media, police, etc).
The most anticipated Super Star Rajinikanth starrer lived up to its hype and smashed every box office record on its way to the top. Kabali is a 2016 Indian Tamil-language gangster-drama film written and directed by Pa. Ranjith and produced by Kalaipuli S. Thanu. The film revolves around the gang war between Kabaleeswaran (played by Rajinikanth) and Tony Lee (portrayed by Winston Chao). This movie is one of best out of Rajini who has delivered a brilliant performance in the title role.
- Kabali was released on 3200 screens in India, of which 2200 were in South India.
- The film had the largest opening weekend for any Indian film worldwide.
- Kabali had the highest opening day for an South Indian film in terms of collections, earning ₹447.5 million on the first day of its release in India from all the languages.
Irudhi Suttru is a 2016 Indian sports drama film written and directed by Sudha Kongara. Simultaneously shot in Tamil and Hindi, the film features R. Madhavan in the leading role as a boxing coach, with newcomer Ritika Singh as an aspiring boxer. Irudhi Suttru offered a lot of fun while also leaving a thunderous footmark on all the issues which plague the boxing setup. This is a hardcore team effort from everybody involved, and the result was visible on screen. A riveting piece of cinema which deserves your eyes. This movie was also simultaneously shot in Hindi (Saala Khadoos)
- Actress Ritika Singh, who won a National Award under the Special Mention category for her performance in Irudhi Suttru movie.
- Irudhi Suttru was later screened at the 29th Tokyo International Film Festival during October 2016 and was then also selected to be a part of the Indian Panorama section at 47th International Film Festival of India
24 is a 2016 Indian Tamil-language science fiction thriller film written and directed by Vikram Kumar. Based on the concept of time-travel, the film stars actor Suriya in triple roles, with actresses Samantha Ruth Prabhu, Nithya Menen and Saranya Ponvannan in lead roles.Suriya’s ‘Athreya’ is a role to remember for years. Time travelling has always been a fascinating prospect among man’s limitless imaginations and Vikram Kumar has done a neat job in visualizing this imagination in his fifth film ‘24’.
This movie plot is about surrounding sibling rivalry, time travel and a son’s pursuit to get back to the roots. The film succeeding in wooing a section of the audience big time and that itself is a success.A scientist invents a time machine, which leads to a bitter battle between his evil twin brother and his son
- The film was released on an estimated 1,950–2,000 screens worldwide.
- 2016 Vijay Awards nominated for 24.
- Actor Suriya has played triple12] roles in the film, with five appearances.One of the roles being that of an antagonist, five to six looks were designed for him.
Sethupathi was undoubtedly the coolest cop flick in Kollywood this year.Arun Kumar’s Sethupathi includes two worn-out set-ups in contemporary Tamil cinema: tough cop and Madurai. As usual, the villain is a corrupted but influential man from Madurai, who, as expected, is brought down by an honest police officer. But thanks to Vijay Sethupathi’s captivating on-screen avatar, the film turns out to be a fine entertainer. His performance is infused with great energy. He is sensible enough to do away with silly, over-the-top punchlines.
- Vishal Menon of The Hindu said that it was a good thriller and a better family movie.
- Sethupathi has received good reviews and also good footfalls in theatres.